During the 2016 legislative session, the General Assembly passed the Pre-K Quality Act. One key component of this law is the requirement that all districts have a voluntary pre-K program (VPK) must utilize the state board-approved pre-K and kindergarten student growth portfolio models for their pre-K and kindergarten teachers (see T.C.A. §§ 49-6-103–49-6-110).
- A detailed FAQ regarding pre-K and kindergarten portfolios was released on May 3, 2017: PreK and K Portfolio Implementation FAQ
- Pre-K and Kindergarten Portfolio Implementation Facts
- Student Growth Portfolios Q&A for School Leaders
With questions, reach out to Portfolio.Questions@tn.gov.
Pre-K/Kindergarten Portfolio Background
During the 2014-15 school year, a group of teachers, district leaders, principals, and academic coaches worked to develop and pilot a portfolio growth measure for pre-K and Kindergarten teachers. The model is similar in form to our existing portfolio models in that it is a portfolio of student evidence. Three districts opted to pilot the model during the 2014-15 school year. The model was approved for use during the 2015-16 school year by the State Board of Education in July of 2015.
- 2017-18 Guidance on Portfolio Collections for ELA (PDF)
- 2017-18 Pre-K ELA Portfolio Scoring Resource Guide (PDF)
- 2017-18 K ELA Portfolio Scoring Resource Guide (PDF)
- Teaching Literacy in Tennessee: Unit Starter Kindergarten (PDF)
Webinars and Recordings
- Pre-recorded PreK-K ELA Resource Webinar (recording)
- Pre-recorded Back to School Webinar (recording)
- Pre-K/K Student Growth Portfolio Scoring Rubric Guidance (recording)
- June 8, 2017 PreK-K Math Resource Webinar (recording)
- June 8, 2017 PreK-K Math Resource Webinar Presentation (PDF)
- Pre-K, Kindergarten, First Grade Math Portfolio Guidance (video)
Student Work Samples
- Pre-K Literature/Narrative Sample: PreK Option 3 Student Work Sample & Analysis
- Pre-K Informational/Explanatory Sample: PreK Option B Student Work Sample & Analysis
- Kindergarten Literature/Narrative Sample: K Option 3 Student Work Sample & Analysis
- Kindergarten Informational/Explanatory Sample: K Option C Student Work Sample & Analysis
TN Student Growth Online Portfolio Platform
Leaders and teachers are encouraged to regularly visit www.TNstudentgrowth.com for the most up-to-date information about the portfolio process and the Educopia platform. All rostered portfolio teachers should have received an email from Educopia with instructions for activating their accounts at www.TNstudentgrowth.com. Rostered teachers who have not yet activated their accounts can have this email resent by clicking on the “Resend Activation Email” link on the login page.