During the 2016 legislative session, the General Assembly passed the Pre-K Quality Act. One key component of this law is the requirement that all districts have a voluntary pre-K program (VPK) must utilize the state board-approved pre-K and kindergarten student growth portfolio models for their pre-K and kindergarten teachers (see T.C.A. §§ 49-6-103–49-6-110).
Pre-K/Kindergarten Portfolio Background
During the 2014-15 school year, a group of teachers, district leaders, principals, and academic coaches worked to develop and pilot a portfolio growth measure for pre-K and Kindergarten teachers. The model is similar in form to our existing portfolio models in that it is a portfolio of student evidence. Three districts opted to pilot the model during the 2014-15 school year. The model was approved for use during the 2015-16 school year by the State Board of Education in July of 2015.
- 2017-18 Guidance on Portfolio Collections for ELA (PDF)
- 2017-18 Pre-K ELA Portfolio Scoring Resource Guide (PDF)
- 2017-18 K ELA Portfolio Scoring Resource Guide (PDF)
- Pre-recorded PreK-K ELA Resource Webinar (recording)
- Student Work Artifact Samples and Work Analyses
- Pre-K Literature/Narrative Sample: PreK Option 3 Student Work Sample & Analysis
- Pre-K Informational/Explanatory Sample: PreK Option B Student Work Sample & Analysis
- Kindergarten Literature/Narrative Sample: K Option 3 Student Work Sample & Analysis
- Kindergarten Informational/Explanatory Sample: K Option C Student Work Sample & Analysis