During the 2016 legislative session, the General Assembly passed the Pre-K Quality Act. One of the key components of this law is the requirement that all districts that were awarded VPK classrooms utilize the state board approved pre-K and kindergarten student growth portfolio models for their pre-K and kindergarten teachers as part of an early learning model.
The department is hosting a critical meeting designed to provide district teams with information regarding the expectations for implementation of this legislation. District teams attending these trainings should consist of 3–6 members, including pre-K/kindergarten supervisors and teacher leaders, instructional coaches, school-level administrators, and technical support positions. Meetings are scheduled across the state throughout the 2016-17 school year. Specific dates, locations, and registration links are available here.
Pre-K/Kindergarten Portfolio Background
During the 2014-15 school year, a group of teachers, district leaders, principals, and academic coaches worked to develop and pilot a portfolio growth measure for pre-K and Kindergarten teachers. The model is similar in form to our existing portfolio models in that it is a portfolio of student evidence. Three districts opted to pilot the model during the 2014-15 school year. The model was approved for use during the 2015-16 school year by the State Board of Education in July of 2015.
- Pre-K/K 2016-17 Student Growth Portfolio Model Guidebook
- Portfolio Planning Guide PreK (word)
- Portfolio Planning Guide Kindergarten (word)
General Resources for Student Growth Portfolio Models
- General 2016-17 Student Growth Portfolio Model Guidebook
- The 2016-17 Webinar Recording 7/28/16 walks through changes for the 2016-17 school year. To view the webinar, follow the instructions to download AT&T connect, and then click the play button in the top corner of the screen.